Subharmonicon Emulation

While looking for some help in constructing a version of the Subharmonicon in miRack, we have lots of questions and answers by some people more knowledgeable than myself. I feel this might be of interest here are it is such a fun instrument to play.

The discussion in the Feedback and Suggestions section of the forum:

And a big Thank You goes out to the other two miRack users whom have participated in the making of the instrument, sowarimodular and Runcell. Their versions are fantastic.

A large amount of the credit goes to Omri Cohen for making his own version in VCV Rack which was used as a fairly closely followed example in miRack. It would have been copied directly but there are some modules in VCV Rack that are not in miRack. And, actually, I think those whom have been involved in making a version of their own in miRack have benefited from coming up with ways to work around the problems.

Here is a link to Omri Cohen’s tutorial on YouTube, from which you can have a look at the links below the video for the download on Patchstorage. Please feel free to participate in the discussion.

1 Like

Below is a link to the post on Facebook. Be sure to check out the other posts as there is some really cool stuff there.

Hey @playinmyblues, I’m almost ready to upload version 2.

The pitch dials work great, setting different intervals/divisions for each oscillator works a dream. It puts out some lovely chord progressions. The hardware Subharmonicon has 16 intervals on each pitch dial, so what I’ve had to do is put 8 intervals onto a Tact controller and then press a big button to invert each interval for another 8 giving 16 intervals per pitch dial/tact cntrlr, like that.

Version 1 on patchstorage was made by following Omri’s VCV build… this next version has been built up from the user manual and is a more faithful recreation of the hardware.

I’ve added extras, like Tact controllers for PWM amount, and an on/off button for PWM. A button to switch the envelopes into classic mode or all triggers allowed mode. Reverb and delay Tact sliders (dials).

There is soft distortion on the volume dial the louder it goes also.

The only thing left to do is the logic switch on the 4 (rhythm) clock rate dials, where value 0 to 63 is OR logic, and value 64 to 127 XOR logic… I couldn’t get that to work nice last time I messed with it, but I’ll have another go at it.

all best

runcell

1 Like

1 Like

@Runcell, I am looking forward to the next release. It looks like a lot of fun.

1 Like

@Runcell I am also looking forward to trying this. Hopefully it will be ready so I can use it for a live stream gig on Friday 26th February :slight_smile:

Best
Phil

1 Like

@sowarimodular, that would be an honour if you used it for a live stream set. Thankyou.

It will definitely be ready before the 29th. I still have the OR/XOR to do on the rate sliders. But with the module count at 160 so far we might be pushing the processor a bit hard if I do. (I’ve made complete tracks on MiRack with less modules). I will try the OR/XOR out, but if the iPad starts to glitch or is too close to the limit then I will leave them out.!

I have split the EG button for osc 1 + 2, instead of one button for both (like on the hardware) so that, for example - osc 1 env can trigger in classic mode and osc 2 can be all triggers…OR osc 1 all triggers and osc 2 hold notes…etc… it’s an addition to the original but very useful.

If I can just stop playing on it and try out those logic switches, then it should be ready before this weekend.

take care

runcell

Lol. I am really looking forward to trying it out :slight_smile:

@Runcell I also remember - I think - you saying you made music using field recordings. Is there a bandcamp site with examples of your music? I also use field recordings on occasions, so I am interested to hear what you do.

Best
Phil

Hey @sowarimodular, I’m not on bandcamp.!

Here is a reason refill I made a while back

Great stuff!
Best
Phil

1 Like

Thanks Phil.

Do you have any links to music you made.

And just to keep the thread on track, I’m ready with Subharmonicon V2.
Will play on it for a couple of days to make sure everything is firing correctly.

cheers

runcell

Here are some links:

The first and fourth link have elements of field recordings. Links 2 and 3 feature Eurorack modular stuff.

So looking forward to Subharmonicon V2 :slight_smile:
Cheers
Phil

1 Like

cool

Few things that make this not a faithful recreation - the OR to XOR on the rate sliders… either I’m not doing it right or I just don’t like it or I just need to hear the hardware version to compare to, so I’ve left them out.

The envelopes on the hardware unit trigger after the attack phase, whereas I’ve got them triggering after the release phase for two reasons - the extra XOR modules were making the iPad glitch (module count limit) and I preferred the sound of EOR to EOA, so it made sense to keep module count down.

Extras include PWM amount sliders for each oscillator (section), portamento per oscillator, reverb and delay, and the EG button has been split into three, 3 way switches instead of one 3 way switch.

Give it a go and let me know if anything needs changing.

1 Like

Hey @sowarimodular & @playinmyblues… here is a link to Subharmonicon v2.
I’ve not put it onto patchstorage because it’s not a truly faithful recreation and I don’t want to flood the page with Subharmonicons. Hopefully you have Dropbox on your iPad and it loads into MiRack ok…

There are a few things I’m not happy with, the range dial, the inverted divisions/intervals and I’d like to have got the OR/XOR rate sliders in… but the extras kind of make up for it… Portamento per oscillator is nice and having the EG button split is very useful and PWM amount sliders.

runcell

I had a good play with Subharmonicon v2 yesterday and it is great - really enjoyed playing with it.

Out of interest I was interested that you used a Bogaudio mixer - MIX1 and not the MUTE8 for the RGATE rhythms?

I also had fun using a couple of TACT-1 faders to modulate which of the 4 steps were active in the ADDR sequencers.

Great work :sunglasses:

Best
Phil

1 Like

@Runcell, great work. It has progressed a lot. I like all the touch surface tactile sliders. This cannot help like sounding like a small problem or me being unappreciative but… This version has gotten so large it is a little hard to take it all in and use.

Some organization of it all would be great, putting all the controls in easy to use locations would really pull this all together. Still, great work!

1 Like

Thanks @sowarimodular, glad you like it… you can do drones with it…just stop the clock then switch one or both oscillators ENV MODE to HOLD… the MANUAL TRIGGER (big button) can then be used also.

yes I used 8 MIX1 VCA’s instead of 1 MUTE8, because I can see the signal passing thru with the green flashes (on the fader) and can easily tell if muted or not… whereas the MUTE8 does not show any signal passing thru or even if it’s muted or not (when using BIG BUTTON to CV mute) !

Thanks @playinmyblues, that is one problem, that the patch is so large it may be a little intimidating. You only need focus on TACT controllers or BIG BUTTONS, any control with a text panel that has white text on a black background is a user control… They are spaced out, so that it’s easier to move around and zoom in/out. It’s loosely based on the hardware front panel, but like any synth just need to familiarise yourself with it for a few days.
It also shows how complex Subharmonicon really is.

If there is anything I can help you out with just post up here, I’ll try get back to you as soon as.

all best

runcell

ty for this v2 beast!! having fun w it. im baffled at how this patch runs ok on my vintage iphone 6s(45% cpu)… but yet when i open the patch up in vcv (with highest threads + buffer) on a decently strong pc it chokes. hats off the mirack optimizations i guess.

1 Like

Thanks @offthesky

45% on an old iPhone, that’s impressive… I’m at about 80/90% with this patch on an iPad Pro !!