miRack + garbageband + vintage iphone6s = wow

in the quest to get out of the stuffy studio and be able to compose tracks anywhere… i wanted to try out mirack in some different ios daws that support auv3. the first stop of course is the bloated (yet still capable in the right hands?) free garbageband. i was pleasantly surprised today to find that it held up quite well on this ancient phone with 9 instances of mirack loaded in via auv3 - both as instruments, but also as an effect. of course each instance was fairly light weight - typically a few vcos, lfo vcf, and a few bog walk’s. the audible textures module was actually used many times. there were no audio drop outs and my phone wasn’t even getting warm so i think i could really keep going with stacking in more mirack layers into this.

sure gb only lets you automate the volume… but there’s still a ton one can do with just that if you time things right. i do appreciate this gb+mirack route - since it allows mirack to remain very non destructive/tweakable (versus mixing down each instance of mirack into a wav file) which of course keeps the project sizes super small (and gb is bloated enough w bad samples that one can’t delete). plus you can save any patches you do audv3 as presets in gb to be quickly recalled later on. i REALLY hope fl studio mobile adds in auv3 support soon as there’s so much more powerful features in that daw than gb. but for now maybe the simplicity and limitations of gb could be a silver lining for helping to focusing in more on compositions?

here’s a quick and dirty vid cap of the exploration. it’s not a “good song” by any stretch - just a drone/minimal one made quick for this test. you can see that my old phone did NOT like to vid cap while so many miracks where thrashing the cpu simultaneously (but still, no audio dropouts):

here’s the gb project - containing all the mirack instances (that one could save out from gb into your main mirack app folder) if, for some crazy reason you wanted to test this out on your own device:

and im curious: do any of you out there have good experiences using mirack in other mobile daws? id love to hear about them as im trying to find the best mobile mirack composition workflow here…

I am using AUM with Holonist controlling a miRack Midi patch :slight_smile:

nice - holonist seems pretty amazing. love to see all that weather data being used to drive things. so you are sending each different data type via midi cc into mirack, processing it in various ways, and then sending that to the piano? all hosted by aum?

1 Like

OSC to miRack where it is processed and then sent back out as MIDI yeah :slight_smile:
I have been tidying up the miRack patch and will put it on Patch Storage soon!

@offthesky sorry for the delay, here is the 4 channel MIDI environmental sequencer: https://patchstorage.com/quad-enviromental-sequencer/

you are amazing, TY for this!!!