Frequency Divider

Cheers @jorhay1… I’m looking forward to getting the pitch dials patched in… haven’t had a chance to, over the last couple of days.

There is a version 1 on PatchStorage if you want to have a go with it.

take care

Great stuff!

@Runcell, @sawarimodular, @johay1, wow guys, you are really getting some stuff done. My Subharmonicon came a little earlier than expected so I have been playing with it, making my way through the manual.

I have to admit, I read very little of the manual before this. I was referencing the photo of the hardware interface when I needed to to help understand it.

Building the version in miRack and playing with the other versions really helped me in using the hardware version. One thing I did not understand much was how Sub 1 modulates the main oscillator when both the square and sawtooth waves are selected.

And I think it was already mentioned above, the VCF and VCA Attacks engage all the way until they finish before another trigger or gate restarts the envelope.

And I think Omri Cohen talks about link between Seq1 to Osc1 and Seq2 to Osc2 in his tutorial but I never really paid attention to that part when choosing which sequence to assign to which oscillator.

I am glad to see that other people are seeing this project and hopefully enjoying it.

1 Like

Hey @playinmyblues, that’s good to hear… hope you’re enjoying those rich analog tones that Moog are so good at :+1::+1:

Yes, seq 1 to oscillator 1 (and 2 subs) and seq 2 to oscillator 2 (and it’s 2 subs). The switch88 is not really needed, something I’m just contemplating.

The pulse width mod occurs only when saw + square (middle switch position) is selected. There are no pwm controls that I’ve seen on there. So I believe that it is a set amount though I’m not sure yet if OSC 1 saw (subs) modulate OSC 1’s square wave or OSC 2’s square wave… something I need to look into.

There is a block diagram in the back of the manual, which may come in handy for things like pwm.

However, I think I like the idea of an on/off button and an amount dial for pwm, so I will probably put those in.

As with the envelope attack time, yes the attack will not allow another trigger until the attack phase has completed… I’ve played about with this… and kind of preferred it when that wasn’t active… but again I could use an extra 2 envelopes and put a switch in that toggles between the 2 (on of off).

Would be nice to get my hands on a Subharmonicon to hear the envs working, and the rhythm dials etc… I’ll post version 2 up soon, it may have some extra buttons and some bits are not 100% accurate, but would be interesting to see how close it can get.

Enjoy jamming’ out on your new Moog

All the best

runcell

Could you clarify what you mean by this? I don’t understand - cheers.

Agreed. But the ‘Polyrhythm’ selection to either/or sequencers is very important as we all agree.

Best
Phil

1 Like

Hi @sowarimodular, removing the switch88 will not affect the gates to sequencers (polyrhythms).
The switch88 assigns pitch cv to the oscillators… ie- either sequencer to any oscillator. This of course is not how the hardware unit works, but is a useful addition. Hence why I’m still considering it.

The polyrhythms RATE dials are OR LOGIC gates from value 0 to 63 and then switch to XOR LOGIC from value 64 to 127… again I’ve played about with this, didn’t like it much, but will have another go at it.

Also some soft distortion when pushing up the vol.

I’ve got the pitch dials (tact cntrlrs) in for each oscillator, the intervals/divisions work really well… so well in fact, I’ve just been playing with it for the last day or two.

And just to clarify the pwm… when the wave selector/switch is in the middle position, the fundamental OSC is a square wave and the two subs are saw waves. There are no pwm controls on the front panel (that I’ve seen) so the pwm is a set amount that’s for sure…but is osc 1’s square wave modulated by osc 1’s own subs (saw waves) or osc 2’s subs/saw waves…? or both ? I can check it out on the (very useful) block diagram in the back of the manual…thanks Moog

edit- I’ve not had a good look at the block diagrams yet… little apprehensive as they will reveal just how complex this really is.!!.

hope that helps @sowarimodular, take care

runcell

Yes sorry, I understand that removing the ‘switch88 will not affect the gates to sequencers’.

It is great you are doing all this hard work :slight_smile:

Best
Phil

Btw, @playinmyblues, @Runcell, @jorhay1 there is a new ‘complete’ Subharmonicon for VCV Rack: https://slimechildaudio.com/substation/

There are even manuals for it. It is a paid for set of modules but at the moment, just $10. I have purchased!

This is SO GOOD, here is a short demo: https://youtu.be/551iLRObPMc

Best
Phil

1 Like

@sowarimodular page 19 of the Subharmonicon manual (https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2020-05/Subharmonicon_Manual.pdf)

“MIDDLE: The middle position is a special case. With the switch in this position, SUB 1 and SUB 2 will both output sawtooth waves. However, VCO 1 will output a square (pulse) wave. By default, the sawtooth output of SUB 1 is normalled for use as a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) source for the square wave of VCO 1. PWM can change the width of the pulse wave, altering its timbre which is popular for creating string-type sounds.”

I am thinking about what this means as I write it. Normalled means that the waveform is altered so that it has values between 0 and 1. This is instead of the regular range of frequencies it usually has. This value is used to modulate the VCO1 (now) pulse waveform (between 0 to 1 or 0% to 100% duty cycle - this is probably more likely 5% to 95%. Or maybe it is between 50% to 95%. I have not hooked up an oscilloscope to check.)

I cannot see where it references the Sub 2 waveform at this setting.

Hey @sowarimodular, that looks cool… kind of makes me want to get VCV. I have 2 PC’s - one is for my field recordings/sound editing and off line, the other is used in my studio, but needs a serious clean up due to it being on line and takes about 10 min just to turn on.

I noticed there are 3 sequencers on there interesting… they have the quantize section, with extras - diatonic + chromatic…nice.

There is a switch for the gate to seq LOGIC on there and It’s one or the other by looks of it… it can be both on the hardware -gate1 OR. gate2 XOR. gate3 OR…etc. No problem though, at least it can switch between logic gates, even if it’s all of them together.

And I notice there is only one oscillator (with 2 subs)… or is there a switch for osc2.?.

Glad you’ve found the sound you’re lookin’ for…enjoy .

will post up a demo of where I’m at and the pitch dials, can get some nice chords going on it

catch you soon

runcell

Hey @playinmyblues, that is exactly the info I need regarding pwm. Sub1 is the mod source for osc1. I would assume the same is true for osc2 - sub1 is the mod source. That makes sense.

The ‘normalled’ you mention is to do with a type of connection, like on a patchbay - you have normalled and half normalled connections… basically it’s like a split that doesn’t break the normal connection.

all best

runcell

@Runcell, I will have to connect a scope to the Subh to find out exactly what is going on.

I can see how a normalled connection is used the way you have given. However, I can see how a normalled signal to modulate the pwm duty cycle from some set of values between 0 - 100% is also used. And it could be both with the correct circuits.

@playinmyblues the context in which normalled is used in the quoted sentence, basically means taken a split and without affecting the signal going to the amp or mixer or wherever. There is no need to over think/complicate things, there is no mention of duty cycle, because that is not relevant to ‘normalled’ or pwm.

Essentially, a split from sub1 modulates the fundamental oscillator(1). What I can do is insert an on/off switch between the split and the pwm input… and also a variable resistor (potentiometer/dial/tact-1) for amount of sub1 saw to fundamental oscillator pwm input.

hope that makes sense

runcell

@playinmyblues, are you getting normalled mixed up with normalized ?

Also something you can try out on your Subharmonicon, a pwm test… turn down the levels of all (5) oscillators, except for oscillator 1, so all you now hear is just one single oscillator, no subs & no osc 2… then use wave select switch to switch between square wave (top position) and square + saws (middle position), flick between the two and listen carefully, is there a slight chorusy sound to the square wave in the middle position ?

@Runcell, that was what I was thinking. I will have to give that situation a go. I will also have to check it out on a scope. I like seeing things like that. Having scopes is one of the great features on miRack and VCV Rack.

1 Like