File format compatibility with VCV Rack?

Is anyone aware of any documentation on the miRack file format? I wonder if converters between miRack and VCV Rack file formats exist, or how hard would it be to create one? Assuming I’m using only compatible modules, it would be amazing to create a patch in miRack, and then open it on macOS in VCV Rack for more advanced use cases.

Thanks!

1 Like

The file format is the essentially same as miRack is forked from VCV Rack. miRack document is a folder or a ZIP archive (depending how you transfer it to desktop) with a patch and some other data inside.

Initially I was going to have an “export in VCV format” function, but it looks to me it wouldn’t work in too many cases (even modules that exist in both applications may have different versions), so I decided not to add it.

2 Likes

FYI

I just figured out this evening that you can load a vcv rack file type. If you open it up in iOS 15 I’m using a iPad Pro 5th gen. Prob does not matter. I just have mi rack installed and downloaded a bunch of vcv and mrk files… so open any working mrk file… then open a vcv file… it’s blank… go and choose revert to last save and boom, the module will load… some do nothing but so far I’ve gotten about 80% of them open… it can mess up your system so to reset it just open another mrk file. It starts to have trouble saving so I am working now to see if a save is required and then once saved anywhere, go and rename the new file you just saved extension from vcv to mrk. Working on this but it’s something.